What’s the best way for a man to make a lasting impression on a woman? Recent consumer research shows that the answer to making a memorable impact is right under his nose– through flowers. In fact, the study shows that 92% of women can remember the last time they received flowers, and 89% say receiving flowers makes them feel special.
Giving great floral gifts, however, still remains a mystery to most men. To help them out, author and TV host Rebecca Cole provides guidance on giving females flowers.
“If the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, then the pathway to a woman’s heart is through her other senses,” said Cole, author of Flower Power and co-host of Discovery Channel’s Surprise By Design.
“Flowers are a sensual gift that can express any emotion so simply – with just a little knowledge and a phone call to the florist.”
Cole begins by offering advice to guys on how to send just the right message to the woman in his life – a new girlfriend, that special someone, Mom or a good friend.
- The New Thing. This emotion may be the most difficult for a man to express, so Cole provides style advice for the guy who wants to show his new romantic interest exactly how he feels. “A passionate arrangement is filled with hot pinks, oranges, reds and golds. Add a thoughtful card to help communicate just the right sentiment,” says Cole.
- The Real Deal. Flowers are intimately – and internationally – linked with the art of romance, and for good reason says Cole. “As relationships grow, flowers become symbols of different events and milestones in our lives together. Take note of her favorite flowers – the varieties at your wedding, flowers you sent her when you first started dating or the ones she buys for herself. Those will have great meaning and impact.”
- Leading Ladies. “No woman – especially moms, grandmas and sisters – should live without a little TLC,” says Cole. A fabulous flowering plant or a garden-style arrangement with greens and soft pastel hues – no matter what the flower – will send the message that you care.
- The Gal Pal. “Flowers that show you’re thinking of someone, but not in a sensual way, have a natural, just-picked feeling,” says Cole. She advises to ask for a selection of garden-style flowers or a bright bold color palette that is fun and whimsical. A basket with a mix of flowering and green plants delivered to her door or office is also a sure fire winner.
Research shows that 96% of women like to receive flowers when they’re not expecting them. “Guys should know that they don’t have to wait for a special occasion to give flowers,” Cole says. “Make an occasion by sending flowers to the woman in your life, just because. They’ll never forget it.”
Cole offers advice for men willing to try something trendy. She suggests these three top design styles that men can ask for with confidence:
- Monobotanic. Arrangements featuring only one type of flower (such as all roses, tulips, lilies or iris) are in style and may even include different colors of the same flower in the vase or container.
- Monochromatic. Pick a color, any color and stick with it! If her favorite color is pink, for example, ask your florist for a fresh bouquet of different flowers in the same color range.
- Bunches of Texture. Ask your florist to select complementary flowers of various textures to place in bunches in an elegant glass container. This unique look has a bold, contemporary feel and will surely provide the “wow” factor.
- Need to find a florist? Click here for a Florist Directory searchable by city and state or zip code.
- Don't know what to say on the card? Click here for creative card messages for every occasion.
A Guy’s Checklist of Things to Remember
“The most important thing to remember is that you simply cannot go wrong with flowers,” said Cole. “Your florist is there to help, but you’ll get all the credit.”
- Be Spontaneous. You don't have to wait for a special occasion to give flowers. In fact, most women say “no reason” is the best reason to get flowers.
- Size Doesn’t Matter. Trust your florist to help you send an arrangement that is appropriate for the occasion. Bouquets both big and small can make a bold statement. It’s the sentiment that makes the impact.
- Score Big Points. Surprise her by sending a bouquet to her office, and see how much attention you’ll get because of the attention she got.
- Relax. Flowers don't have to mean commitment. Women know when an arrangement simply means that you care.
The consumer research cited was conducted in 2005 by The Michael Cohen Group.